Assassins is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and a book by John Weidman, based on an original concept by Charles Gilbert Jr.
Using the framing device of an all-American, yet sinister, carnival game, the semi-revue portrays a group of historical figures who attempted (successfully or not) to assassinate Presidents of the United States, and explores what their presence in American history says about the ideals of their country. The score is written to reflect both popular music of the various depicted eras and a broader tradition of “patriotic” American music.
Director: Zachary Centers
Vocal director: Lindsey Lefler
Music Director: Alicia Barrett
Date: June 18th and 19th
Time: June 18th at 5pm and June 19th at 7pm by appointment. Callbacks at discretion of director on June 20th.
Location: Theatre in the Grove, 2028 Pacific Ave Forest Grove, OR 97116
We are seeking a diverse cast of talented individuals for various roles in Assassins. All roles are open for audition, and performers of all ethnicities and backgrounds are encouraged to attend.
- Prepare and bring 16-32 bars of a song that showcases your vocal range and storytelling ability. Please bring sheet music; an accompanist will be provided.
- Be prepared for cold readings from the script.
- Familiarity with the show and its characters is highly recommended.
- This production contains mature themes and strong language.
- Participants must be 18 years or older.
- Rehearsals will be held Sunday afternoon/evenings and Monday through Thursday 7-9pm
- Performance dates are Sept 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24.
- heatre in the Grove background checks all participants in
Schedule your audition here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C084DAAA82FA6F4CE9-titg
Any questions can be directed to Zcenters@theatreinthegrove.org
- John Wilkes Booth – Gender: Male (Age: 25 to 35). Vocal Range: G4 (top), F2 (bottom)
Background: Assassinated President Abraham Lincoln during a performance at Ford’s Theater in Washington D.C. on April 14, 1865. Foreman and inspirational celebrity to the other assassins.
- Charles Guiteau – Gender: Male (Age: 35 to 45). Vocal Range: Ab4 (top), A2 (bottom)
Background: Assassinated President James Garfield in the waiting room of the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Station, Washington, D.C., on July 2, 1881. Dashing but mad.
- Leon Czolgosz – Gender: Male (Age: 25 to 30). Vocal Range: G4 (top), G#2 (bottom)
Background: Assassinated President William McKinley at the Pan American Exposition in Buffalo, N.Y. on September 6, 1901. A young poverty-worn radical.
- Giuseppe Zangara – Gender: Male (Age: 30 to 35). Vocal Range: A4 (top), B2 (bottom)
Background: Attempted to assassinate President-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt as he greeted well-wishers in Bayfront Park, Miami, FL on February 15, 1933. An angry, heavily-accented immigrant.
- Samuel Byck – Gender: Male (Age: 40 to 45). Vocal Range: G4 (top), D3 (bottom)
Background: Attempted to assassinate President Richard Nixon by hijacking a commercial jetliner. Hysterically irate schlep in a Santa Claus suit.
- Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme – Gender: Female (Age: 25 to 30). Vocal Range: G5 (top), A3 (bottom)
Background: Attempted to assassinate President Gerald Ford at the Capitol Park in Sacramento, CA on September 5, 1975. A pixie hippie in love with Charles Manson.
- Sara Jane Moore – Gender: Female (Age: 40 to 45) Vocal Range: Eb5 (top), F3 (bottom)
Background: Attempted to assassinate President Gerald Ford at the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco, CA, on September 22, 1975. A frazzled housewife with little sense.
- John Hinckley – Gender: Male (Age: 25 to 30). Vocal Range: G4 (top), A2 (bottom)
Background: Attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan as he left the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C. on March 30, 1981. A love-obsessed and depressed college student.
- Lee Harvey Oswald – Gender: Male (Age: 20 to 25). Vocal Range: C4 (top), G3 (bottom)
Background: Assassinated President John F. Kennedy from the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository in Dallas, TX on November 22, 1963. A suicidal, dejected shipping clerk.
- Balladeer – Gender: Male (Age: 20 to 40). Vocal Range: G4 (top), C3 (bottom)
Background: A folk singer and the narrator of the show. The voice of America.
- Emma Goldman Gender: Female (Age: 30 to 40).
Background: Turn-of-the-century Anarchist agitator and feminist. Terse and stubborn. An inspiration to Czolgosz.
- The Proprietor – Gender: Male (Age: 30 to 50). Vocal Range: F4 (top), Gb2 (bottom)
Background: A mysterious man who runs the shooting gallery at a carnival.
- David Herold – Gender: Male (Age: 20 to 25)
Background: One of John Wilkes Booth’s confederates. Aided Booth in his attempted escape.
- Billy – Gender: Male (Age: 8 to 8)
Background: Sara Jane Moore’s whiny son.
- Ensemble – Bystanders, Tourists, Reporters, Photographers, and various supporting roles.